Friday, December 6, 2013

Siamese Cats and Anxiety

I'm going to tell you a secret, but you have to promise not to tell anyone. Okay, here goes: I get very anxious around strange people, and even more anxious around other animals (besides my Morkie sister, Mila).

We get visitors occasionally, and it really freaks me out. I don't mind as much when people come over, but when they bring DOGS...I have a full-blown anxiety attack. Is that a Siamese cat thing? Or, just a cat thing? I'm not really sure, because I don't really know any other cats. (Let's keep it that way, please!)

I try my best to keep those dogs at bay, and most of the time, it works. But if they get too close, they are bound to get a swat on the nose and, if necessary, a hiss. Once, I even had to growl at a dog that wouldn't leave me alone!

Here's my deepest secret: When people stay overnight at our house, I get so anxious that I feel the need to poop on the bedding after they leave. My mom and dad usually try to wash bedding right away, but last weekend, they tossed the used sheets down the laundry chute and it was just waiting there in the basement for me to get rid of that 'stranger' smell. Boy, when my parents realized I'd been using the dirty laundry instead of my litter box, they sure were irate! But I blame them for leaving the dirty bedding in easy access.

Does your Siamese cat suffer anxiety?

  1. Watch for signs of stress. It may be excessive grooming, meowing, pacing, hiding, scratching, changes in eating habits, and of course, urinating or defecating in places other than the litterbox.
  2. Determine the cause of your cat's stress. Take note of any patterns that might be causing your pet to show these signs of anxiety.
  3. Eliminate or reduce the stress. Take care of physical stressors, such as fleas or long claws. Eliminate boredom by giving your cat plenty of toys - and spend time interacting with your cat. Reduce environmental stress by turning down loud music.
  4. Finally, never yell at your cat. This will only confuse him or her, and will cause even more anxiety.
Of course, there will always be unavoidable stress that needs to be managed. Make sure your cat is happy and well-fed, and make sure to give him or her plenty of attention. Reward good behavior with treats. Keep the litter box clean.

If you are unable to control the anxiety, you may need to visit your veterinarian to discuss possible treatments for your cat's anxiety.

Good luck!

Paws and kisses,
Loki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...